Thursday, June 21, 2012

LORD, I Remember You!


"Maalaala mo Kaya?" or "Will/Do You Still Remember?"(photo credit goes to google images)

THIS. IS. GOING. TO. BE. LOOOOOOOONG. Parang readings lang ng Soc-An. (Just like the readings of the Soc-An majors)


I AM PRETTY SURE that all of us Christians have experienced having these awfully, negative feelings such as depression, sorrow, grief, and even the simplest to the most complex form of anxiety in our lives. For students like me, these may be because of failing exams or grades, the occasional stress, family and/or roommate troubles, homesickness, the usual, heartbreaking 'love life,' fights with classmates and org-mates, blackmailing and so on. Name it, there are plenty more! 

Now to begin with, I want you to consider the following questions: 

  • Have you ever praised and thanked God for giving you failing grades, stress, homesickness and enemies?;
  • Have you ever asked the question, "God! Why is this [insert problem here] happening to me!?"; 
  • Have you ever felt like not going to church or rather dragged yourself there because you felt that no good thing was going to happen or change, anyway?; or
  • Have you ever got mad at God for not giving you what you thought you needed or wanted?

Now, let me share to you two of my favorite verses in the Bible:

(5)Why am I discouraged? 
Why is my heart so sad?
I will put my hope in God!
I will praise Him again--
my Savior and (6) my God!

Now, I am deeply discouraged,
BUT I will remember You--
even from distant Mount Hermon, the source of Jordan,
from the land of Mount Mizar.

             -Psalms 42: 5-6 (NLT)

David, as he was writing this part of Psalms, obviously needed a Clinical Psychologist or a Physiologist, at least, to help him with is emotional drama. You would actually find countless numbers of rants and complaints if you would just read through the chapters of the Book. 

Anywaysss, that is not my point. David, at this time of his life, saw the troubles from God's wrath--and that discouraged him, a lot. There have been times in my life where it came to a point where I thought that God really didn't make sense. Trouble comes after trouble, until it all seems to be combining, causing our ruin--our defeat.

Well, David didn't need a Clinical Psychologist or a Psychiatrist after all, because he knew and did what he really would've done. He did two simple things, actually: He 1 Remembered the LORD [for His kindness] and 2 he praised Him despite all the trouble and sadness, and depression. 



THOSE, MY FRIEND, ARE TWO HARD THINGS TO DO in times of raging hell and misery. I myself have the tendency of ranting and complaining whenever things go wrong with my life, or even with others'. I kept on thinking, "Who in the entire world would actually thank God for a very tragic event to the least of the predicaments like, death, for instance, to the simple delay of your weekly allowance?" OR, "Who (again) in the entire world would be seen jumping and clapping in church like an ol', party boy while at the same time is undergoing through tons of homework, exams and STREESSSS?"

Well, David praised Him. David remembered Him, and then praised Him even more.

Another remarkable story related to this post is the story of the life of Job. (Read the tragedy at Job chapter1)

My challenge to you today is this: Always remember that tragedies in life are all appointed and overruled by the LORD. Instead of focusing on the lack of your allowance, or the terror of your teachers at school, focus on, and remember the goodness and kindness of God in YOUR life. To give you something to begin with, remember that He gave is One and Only Son to suffer, get humiliated and die a painful death just because of your unceasing wickedness, so that you could live with Him for eternity. He loves you so much, you know, that He even promised in Hebrews 3:5 and said that, "...I [the LORD] will never leave you nor forsake you."
Apply that promise to yourself, then plead it to God. 

REMEMBER HIS LOVE and GOODNESS, then PRAISE HIM--NO MATTER WHAT.













2 comments:

  1. dear tatay. ako ang nawawala mong anak. asan na po ang tuition fee ko?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuition mo? Pag nanalo na ako sa lotto, anak. HEHE

      Delete