Sunday, November 6, 2011

"Sweat, Tears, and Love" -a short story

“Sweat, Tears, and Love”
by Welman Daryll Mutya

It has been a long, tiresome day at school. The periodical tests surely drained the brains out of me. Well, at least it's over now, and I was thinking about sleeping earlier tonight, to regain the sweet, precious hours of sleep I lost just so that I could review for my exams. There are no readings to read, or lessons to study for tonight, that's why I was thinking of helping Mama bag the vegetables when I get home, so that she could sell them at the market tomorrow.  But as of now, my main concern is to be able to ride a bus, or a jeepney, at least, that would take me home.

Mama might be worrying about me right now, why I was out late again. Because of the interminable, Manila traffic, I always get home at around 6:00 in the evening. That's an hour after our dismissal. And for her, that's really late.

She really worries about me, a lot. I always reminded her that I am already sixteen, and that I am a big boy who can manage himself home. But she always tells me how dear I am to her, and that I am far too precious for her to lose. After what happened to Papa and Kuya, she told me that she never wanted to lose anyone in her life again. Papa and kuya Pako, along with seven other passengers have been tragically killed in a jeepney accident when I was twelve. Now, Mama only has me and I only have her. Iwanted to make her happy despite of the sorrow our facticity has given us. Even though we were poor, I promised Mama that I shall study hard, graduate myself from college, earn a great job, and buy her a big house, so that we wouldn't live our whole lives in the squatters anymore. The barangay tanod warned us that they would get our house demolished soon. The mere thought of this always kept Mama from being happy. We didn't know where else to live.

Okay, enough of the daydreaming. Here comes my ride.

I stretched my arms and feet as I got down from the jeepney. I think I even strained my neck after falling into a deep sleep during the ride. I told you, Manila traffic is Manila traffic. It gives enough time for travelers to have "power naps", as my friends at school call it, despite of the blistering heat of the afternoon sun.

"Tao po, Mama?", I said as I knocked at the door. "Tao po."

I knocked again, but there was no answer. I was sure that Mama's inside the house because the pad lock kept the door shut from the inside.

"Ma, pakibukas po yaong pinto. Yaong anak mo po ito."

I sighed. Mama still didn't answer. I walked around our house to check the small, square window that served to be our house's only source of ventilation.

"She might've been sleeping again," I thought. She always tells me how she easily gets so tired and dizzy, and since the past year, she's been complaining about having these headaches. I was guessing that that was probably because of her job, and because of the unbearable heat of the day. My Mama works as a vendor selling vegetables in the market every day, just so we can get our ever-hungry stomachs fed, and get myself to school. Papa always used to be with her every single day when he was still alive, helping Mama carry the big, heavy sacks of carrots and cabbages to and from the market. Never in my whole life have I seen them neither discontent nor ashamed of their job. Now, Mama's left behind, and I only had the time to help her during the weekends and after I get home from school. It's a tiresome job, and I couldn't blame her for having those headaches.

I tried to peek through the window. I couldn't believe my eyes.

I saw Mama lying on the floor, unconscious. The window was too small for me, so I couldn't get myself in.

I started to panic. It seemed that all of a sudden, the clock started to tick as if it was the last five seconds of a basketball game, or like the sound of your teacher's voice asking you to pass your papers every exam. I suddenly felt this pressure; I was running out of time.

 Tears started to gush down my cheeks as I hurried to the door. I banged it repeatedly with my hands, but I didn't seem to work.

Then I started kicking. I felt the adrenalin rush through my nerves, which eventually caused me to kick harder. Then the door flung open. I couldn't believe it, it was a miracle. I rushed inside the house, kneeling beside my unconscious mother lying on the floor.

More tears streamed down my cheeks.

“Mama, mama, gumising ka na po...sige na, ma. Please..." I said as I placed her neck on my left arm, lightly slapping her cheeks, hoping that she would wake up."Saklolo!" I cried, "Saklolo! Tulungan niyo po kami!"

No one seemed to hear me. Or maybe they just didn't care to listen. I knew I was still running out of time.

With nothing else to do, I immediately lifted her neck with my left arm and both her legs with my right. I carried her as I rushed outside the house in attempt to bring her to a small, public hospital about two blocks away from our house. "Saklolo!" I grieved. The people in the sidewalks stared at me as I walked through. They just stood there, looking as if they were entertained with what is happening. It was a hot evening and I was covered with sweat, my face with tears, and I couldn't help but to continue walking.

We finally reached the hospital. Exhaustion overcame my arms and legs.The nurses immediately attended to Mama and laid her on those typical, hospital beds, bringing her to the emergency room. I was told to wait outside in the halls. They did lots of stuff to her, and there were nurses coming in and out of the room.

I waited out there, helpless.

It has been seven hours now, after we got to the hospital. I was sitting on the floor just outside the room, and I couldn't stop thinking about Mama. I thought how important she is to me. Then flashbacks played on my head. I remember Mama taking care of me every time I got sick, and that she even used to buy me Sprite or Royal, and cooked lugaw so I would feel better. I remember how she used to put kuya Pako and I to sleep when we were little, by telling us the story of Jack and the Beanstalk every single night. I remember how she listens to me when I talked about school, how she always encouraged me to study hard, and how she always reminded me that I should choose my friends wisely. I remember the times we've spent bagging and segregating the vegetables every night so that she'd be all set for the next day. I remember her saying, "Mahal kita, anak. Mag-ingat ka." everytime I leave for school.

Then, I imagined my world without her. I would be lonely, not knowing what to do. I couldn't think of living in this world alone. I needed a mother. That's all I wanted for now. I wished that I was the one lying in that bed, and not her. I couldn't lose her.

More tears started to fall. I wiped my cheeks with my hands.

"Uh, ikaw ba si Niko Tanglao?" said the man as he stood near me.  I assumed he was the doctor. 

"Opo. Ako po yaon," I said.

"Gusto ka niyang makita."

"Kamusta na po siya, dok?"

"Ang mama mo ay kasalukuyang may sakit na Alteriovenous Malformation, o AVM kung tawagin. Ito'y isang uri ng sakit sa utak. Naku, dapat pina-checkup niyo na siya dati rati pa. Ngayon malala na yaong sakit, at masyadong fatal yung seizure na nangyari sa mama mo kanina. Sana kayanin niya pa yaong gabing ito. Wala na kaming magagawa kundi operahan siya. Ngayon, kung meron kayong pera..."

"Pwede ko po ba siyang makita?"

The doctor stopped talking and lifted his arm to the way in.

I immediately rushed inside. She was lying there, with tubes pierced into both her hands and arms. I saw the ECG just right beside her bed, beeping a slow-paced rhythm. I sat down beside her bed, held her hand beside my cheeks.

"Mama," I cried, "Magpagaling na po kayo...ayoko pong maiwan mag-isa." She heard my crying.
"Anak," she said, stuttering,  "Mag-aral kang mabuti ha...l..la...lagi mong tandaan n...na mahal na mahal kita. Mukhang hindi ko na kaya, anak. P...paagpasensyahan mo na ang nanay mo, t...tuma...tanda na."

I leaned onto her shoulder, wrapping her with my arm just like a child.

"Mama naman o... 'wag mo naman po sabihin yan...hindi ko kaya pag mawawala ka."

"Kaya mo yan, anak." she struggled, then she tenderly placed her arm on me, with the feeling of sweetness and love. It was just like how she does it when she says’s "Okay lang yan," or "Tulog na, anak." Then she continued, "Alam k...kong m...malakas ka. Mag...magpakabuti ka palagi, ha?

Huwag mong k...kakalimutan y...yung pangako mo saakin na bahay. Ha ha. M...maliit ka pa noon.
She smiled, closing her eyes.

"Mahal na mahal na mahal kita, anak."

Then, the ECG beeped flat. 

9 comments:

  1. Kuya Daryll! I love your font, I really do, since it used to be my font as well. But right now, your font and its size is unfathomable. Haha! You might wanna make it bigger, which would make it seem longer. Or just change your font to something readable. :DD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Krishna! HAHA. Thanks for the comment. It even used to be smaller before. HAHA. imma gonna make it bigger now. :) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My comment earlier was not posted. asdfghjkl;

    Anyway, your site rawkssssss. Hahah. I'm jealous of your fonts. The whole site is simple yet so elegant. Ewan. Inggitera lang talaga ako. Hahaha.

    Will be watching our for updates. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Princess! Thanks for the complement. You're awesooooooome. \m/
    Yep, I'm hoping to update this everyday. O.o
    What's yer blog's domain? Lemme follow you. :)
    Thanks thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHA. or else I'm gonna have to hunt you on the search engines! HAHA >:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice one bro...except for some minor glitches...explain ko na lng pag nagkita tayo...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pa-follow din kuya Da! :)) Ooh, what's your motivation behind this story? *interesting*

    ReplyDelete
  8. *cricket sound*
    wala nang updates? nyahaha :p

    ReplyDelete